Sunday, February 12, 2012

Kimchi Puppies

I love making recipes from Maangchi's website. There are a ton of meat-laden recipes, but she puts effort in to explain how to make vegetarian options for many of the dishes, and her videos are perfect to watch while on the stationary bike at the gym.

So, a few days ago I made a batch of Maangchi's Mak Kimchi--it's a pre-diced kimchi instead of the leaf-layer kimchi that is more traditional.


So, of course, I went right ahead and did something totally un-Korean with it:

I mixed it with an egg and some cornmeal (no real ratio, just until it made some sort of clumpy dough) and made Kimchi Puppies, my Korean answer to traditional southern Hush Puppies.


These were spicy and delicious, but they tasted like they needed a sweet complement--a nice dipping sauce. Perhaps even ketchup (Hush Puppies' traditional accompaniment) would have worked! I don't know why I didn't try anything with this batch, but I have plenty of kimchi to experiment with!

1 comment: