Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mushroom Puffs

What do you cook for a romantic one-year anniversary dinner?

Something you've never tried before, of course!

This morning, I saw an "apple dumpling" post on Confections of a Foodie Bride. It got me to thinking about what to make tonight, and I decided baggies of food were the way to go!


My version of the "apple dumpling."

I used this pie crust recipe for both the "apple dumplings" and the main course (I doubled the dough recipe to accommodate both). I wanted to make a puff pastry dough, but I didn't have nearly enough time. I think both would be better with puff pastry instead of pie dough. Next time!

For the main course, I made straight-up sweet potato fries seasoned with salt and fresh-cracked pepper. Then, I made quinoa "risotto" with diced onion, mushroom, garlic, butter, and vegetable broth.

The puff was a mushroom puff, with diced mushrooms, onions, and garlic sauteed in butter tossed with bread crumbs and eggs. I tossed in a dash of truffle oil as well.


The full dinner spread, post-mostly-eaten (I forgot to take a photo beforehand).

Ingredients
  • 1/2 lb mushroom, diced
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tsp garlic, diced
  • 2/3 cup bread crumbs
  • 2 eggs
  • Truffle oil to taste
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tbsp water


This may have filled maybe 5 puffs, or 6 smaller ones--but I ended up eating a bunch of the amazingly delicious filling. After I mixed everything together, I set it aside to roll out the dough and heated the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. After chilling the dough I made, I cut it into 8 equal portions and rolled 4 of them out into about 12-inch circles. The dough I made cracked a bit--I'm not a great fan of the dough recipe.

After rolling the circles, I filled the 4 circles with equalish portions of the mushroom filling and folded up the edges like a coin purse. I put the little money bags on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet and brushed with the mixed water and egg white.

I baked the puffs for about 25 minutes until browned and delicious. I might reduce the amount of bread crumbs next time. I had added them because I worried that the sauteed onions and mushrooms would be too moist to allow the pie crust to fully crisp. The filling was delicious, however, and I'm looking forward to using this food-delivery packaging more often!


The inside!

1 comment: